Welcome !

Welcome to Made Down South! Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to. This blog serves as my review of projects accomplished since I have way too many that are halfway done. I also tend to have so many urgent ideas where I simply have stop all else to work on the newest thing. So, this blog will show all the ideas that actually get made into stuff! Some of that stuff is available for sale at our etsy shop, Down South Designs.

Friday, May 16, 2014

First timer at Blogger's Quilt Festival

Link up to Quilt Blogger's Festival at Amy's Creative Side to see all the good stuff!  Here's my quilt entry in the Small Quilt category. It's 42' x  54", all cotton, and machine stitched on Bernina 750QE.                                
I call it Red Cross Love.


It's symbolic to me of all of the big corporate organizations, like American Red Cross and Salvation Army, that come through during disastrous events to help those in need. I chose to use a few scrappy cross blocks to remind me that those mega corporations, while not perfect, can provide the essential structure and guidance needed in time of catastrophe to help those scraps of community volunteers work effectively.   I experienced both sides when 2 deadly hurricanes hit Louisiana in 2005. My local community and church hosted and cared for hundreds who had evacuated New Orleans in the first hurricane named Katrina.   A few weeks later, a double whammy.  The mega Hurricane Rita headed our way and devastated my hometown and many others in the southwest corner of Louisiana.  My family evacuated and we ended up in Tennessee. I couldn't believe there were help centers set up there in the Smoky Mountain area for LA hurricane refugees.  Instead of us helping someone in need, we were being served. It was humbling yet so reassuring.  It won't surprise you that I even met quilters there and was invited to many enjoyable sessions of quilting on an old fashioned frame with like-minded women.  It was a healing time.   And now you know why I put hand stitching on those crosses.

happy stitching, 

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Red Cross love quilt

Binding is the finishing stage and that should make me happy right? But, nooooooo, I drag out this phase and tend to delay it as long as possible. Hence, torture followed by pure joy. So I am setting myself a goal for my beloved Red Cross quilt. I want to enter it in Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side. My deadline is May 16th and the size is only 40ish x 50ish so I think I can do this. I will do this. I will do this.

I really don't care for the way my machine quilting turned out. Despite many needle changes, all the stitches look wonky on these white on white background fabrics. Kinda like the needle left a hole punched through the fabric. The quilting lines are not even close to straight but I like to think that lends to the charm of the quilt. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it) My absolute favorite part of the quilt is the hand stitching in the red crosses. I used embroidery floss and big stitches to give it substantial texture.

I have a nice little backstory about this quilt which I will share in the post for the actual quilt entry. Until then, happy stitching!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

One Block Baby Quilt: X Marks the Spot

It's strange how inspiration strikes.  I was recently reminded of my children's toddler days and our experiences with "time out".  It wasn't always easy to find the perfect time out location where you could supervise the little prisoner. If only I had one of these back then, I could have tossed down the quilt in a convenient spot and ordered them to sit in time out for a couple of minutes.  X marks the spot. Stay on the X.  Now who wouldn't understand that?  HA!

I designed this by using a basic 9 patch block set on point. I used solid gray and solid buttery yellow for this 40" square quilt. I jazzed it up with a bold polka dot on back and soft aqua stripe on the binding.  I love how this one block quilt turned out and plan to try it in other color combinations.

Simple Ombre Baby Quilt

Having more fun with baby quilts featuring
simple layouts and high quality fabrics. I found these color gradation fabrics at a Texas quilt shop.  I fell in love with the bolts of many colors but limited myself to choosing 5 colors.  I purchased 1/4 yard of red, purple, aqua, hot pink and leafy green. Each 9" X 44" strip of fabric color had the same gradual transition from dark to light.  I matched each strip carefully together at the seamline to try to maintain the look horizontally and vertically.
I found the styled leaf fabric at Hancock Fabrics.  The black background behind the pink, green and aqua leaves inspired me to use black binding on the quilt.  It measures 32" X 42" and I think it will work well as a mod baby quilt or as a wall hanging!

I will be sharing at the following linky parties this week:

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Geometric Baby Quilt

Trying out a new series of baby quilts and having lots of fun with different fabrics on my design wall in my new sewing room.  I'm loving using geometric and solid fabrics available in current color options. I'm experimenting with abstract modern style for all those mod baby nurseries.

   I think the skinny lines of quilting stitches are called channel quilting.  The walking foot on my Janome sewing machine was an essential part of accomplishing this look.  I also used a new Frixion marking pen from Pilot to mark guidelines every few inches to keep me on track.   It's a gel erasable pen that disappears when ironed and I love it!!  

I decided to step outside of the box and try a cool look for the back of the quilt.  I just loved those bright colors on the dark brown background.


I will be sharing at the following link parties this week:

The Shabby Creek Cottage's Transformation Thursday