Welcome !



Welcome to Made Down South! Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to. This blog serves as my review of projects accomplished since I have way too many that are halfway done. I also tend to have so many urgent ideas where I simply have stop all else to work on the newest thing. So, this blog will show all the ideas that actually get made into stuff! Some of that stuff is available for sale at our etsy shop, Down South Designs.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

White on White Stenciled Front Door







 My new house started out with an ugly brown masonite door with graining in it that made it look just like "real" fake wood.  I could not stand it----the only thing I liked about it was the price!  Determined to change the look of the door, I did some layered paint on the exterior which I will post later.








The interior side just got a quick coat of white paint to make do.  After looking at the plain white door for a few months, inspiration struck when I saw this blog post from Ashley at Domestic Imperfection about a big stencil project on a dining table.
     




 I just used a stencil I had on hand to try out my creative experiment.  My idea was to add a twist to Ashley's idea by using a one color combination of flat and semi-gloss paint for my stencil project.  I applied a coat of flat white to the door as the base color.  I followed up with semi-gloss white rolled onto a damask stencil as the top coat.



 It was a bit challenging to paint white on white but a camp lantern gave me just the right amount of light on the subject!





I love the subtle pattern shown in daylight.  The pattern takes on a different look at night and looks like lace with the light on from the living room lamps.












































I will be participating in the following linky parties this week:





Beyond The Picket FenceFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


12 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

What a neat idea indeed. Looks so pretty. Thanks so much for sharing.

Audrey said...

Looks Great. We are trying to make a decision on painting our front door. I like the look you have, but likely not for our door. A great idea for other projects though. New follower
Blessings,
Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
Timeless Treasures

Unknown said...

Beautiful, I love how it turned out! I'm now a follower!

Vintage Paint and more... said...

I love this technique and how it turned out. Will definitely have to try it on something myself. Found you at Debbiedos - am now a follower....

Cynthia said...

How pretty that turned out! I have always loved tone on tone designs.

Courtney @ Ordinary Happily Ever After said...

What a great idea! I'm going to do this on a nightstand :)

Emma Kate at Paint and Style said...

So effective! Can't wait to see what you did to the other side! x

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Great job...

Adorned From Above said...

I love what you did with your front door. It looks beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.
Debi @ Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

ibshell said...

I never even thought of that before! How BEAUTIFUL!! I want to do this now. What an interesting touch!

Pamela said...

OMG what a great project and so unexpected. I love it! Thanx for sharing at THT!

Catherine Elizabeth Creations said...

This is such a great idea! It came out beautiful! I love how subtle it is! Wonderful job!:)