Welcome !



Welcome to Made Down South! Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to. This blog serves as my review of projects accomplished since I have way too many that are halfway done. I also tend to have so many urgent ideas where I simply have stop all else to work on the newest thing. So, this blog will show all the ideas that actually get made into stuff! Some of that stuff is available for sale at our etsy shop, Down South Designs.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Prettiest Punkin in the Patch



Love the turquoise color popping up in the decorating blogs so I decided to experiment with one of my $3 sale pumpkins.  I spray painted with Larkspur Blue and prepared for a voila! moment...but, actually, it looked a bit much. I was in full scale "rescue my project" mode and so I forgot to take photo of the plain blue painted pumpkin.  Anyway, I tried toning down its brightness by applying some dark walnut gel stain.  Then I just wiped it back off quickly before it dried.








Looked great until it rolled off its drying mount and got a few character marks.  But I kinda liked that orange showing through where the paint rubbed off.  So, I used my very fine sandpaper to give it even more character all over that punkin.  I love happy accidents!  Now she's the prettiest punkin in the patch :)





                                                                                                                                       

Set up a little vignette on my front porch using flowers, burlap and some old junk.  Recently rediscovered this old market cart long forgotten in our attic.  Another house moving find was the crusty old watering can I used 20 or so years ago!  Gotta love all that rust and character!







Now my front porch is set to welcome visitors.  I'll be sharing at the following linky parties this week:





Beyond The Picket Fence

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


10 comments:

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love the vignette by the door...love how you incorporated the beautiful antique pieces with the pumpkins and flowers!! Beautiful porch!

Cynthia said...

I love how your pumpkin turned out! I, too, tried my hand at painting over an orange craft store pumpkin. Didn't look at all what I was hoping for, but then I added more "highlights" with darker colors, and. . . after a few different layers, it came out even better than I originally hoped for. Yours is beautiful, and I really like your vignette. Have a great day! Visiting from "Wow Us Wednesday"

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Gorgeous fall decor!

Unknown said...

I just LOVE your blue pumpkin - and though I've painted them I'd have never thought of such a non traditional color - it looks gorgeous with your fall decor!
Your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time
Hugs,
Suzan

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love your blue pumpkin. I just finished painting a few of my pumpkins blue...so, I think the color is just perfect. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Funky Junk. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-19.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Pamela said...

Love you r blue pumpkin and all your fall touches on the porch!

Katie Drane said...

I'm so glad that I'm following you! I love your blue pumpkin!

Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Unknown said...

LOVE the blue pumpkin!! Too cute!!!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. You will be one of the features tomorrow. So, please pop on in and grab a feature button located on my sidebar. See you tomorrow. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Audrey said...

The shopping cart is just right for this pretty display. Love the painted pumpkin too.
Blessings,
Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
Timeless treasures.