Welcome !



Welcome to Made Down South! Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to. This blog serves as my review of projects accomplished since I have way too many that are halfway done. I also tend to have so many urgent ideas where I simply have stop all else to work on the newest thing. So, this blog will show all the ideas that actually get made into stuff! Some of that stuff is available for sale at our etsy shop, Down South Designs.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wednesday Progress: Vintage Grandmother's Fan

Lots of works in progress in my sewing studio this week!  


Here's a fun quilt top that a customer asked me to quilt in an authentic style of the 30's era.  This hand pieced quilt top had been passed down through her family and she wanted to have it completed as a wedding gift for a family member.


The maker of this quilt top was so careful with her scraps and pieced them so well that you had to look closely to see which fans were "made do" from pieces of fabrics. 


I felt like I was on a treasure hunt when I examined her work and the lovely old fabrics. Such a joy!   She was an excellent quilter and obviously took pride in her work and was quite thrifty with her fabric scraps!







I used Quilters Dream cotton batting and plain muslin for the back. It measures 88" X 98". I hope to finish this week. I have many more projects to complete before Christmas!

No comments: