Welcome !



Welcome to Made Down South! Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to. This blog serves as my review of projects accomplished since I have way too many that are halfway done. I also tend to have so many urgent ideas where I simply have stop all else to work on the newest thing. So, this blog will show all the ideas that actually get made into stuff! Some of that stuff is available for sale at our etsy shop, Down South Designs.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sewing Sunday



My first quilt along!  I found out about the Wallflower Quilt Along on Cluck Cluck Sew's blog.  Since I had the pattern in my "hope to make" pile of projects, I decided to sign up for the quilt along at Bloomerie Fabrics.  Their shop is grand and had these collections of fabrics set up for the quilt along.  I liked their fabric offerings but chose to use my own stash for this attempt.  I'm sure I will be a future customer because the shop is fabulous!  
  

I pulled a variety of aqua, blue, and navy fabrics to mix and match. I love using the feedsack floral (lower left in photo above) next to modern geometric fabrics!  The floral lace and the mint, coral, blue floral are also both very old fabrics.


The pattern called for a straight set 3 x 3 layout. I chose to put my own spin on it though. I split one of the blocks in half and offset the middle row.  Then, I spaced out the blocks more by framing each with an extra border of white.  I liked the original pattern but love the effect of these little changes I made. 
 

I tossed and turned that night as I dreamed of quilting options for this quilt. By the time I woke up, the answer was a new design to experiment with. 


I quilted my snowflake star design on the backside as this is always easier for me to stitch white on a dark rather than stitching white on white. 


I enjoyed the quilt along experience and look forward to trying another one soon!
 


 
I will be posting this week at Freshly Pieced and CrazyMomQuilts. 
 

3 comments:

Jess @ Bloomerie Fabrics said...

You did such a phenomenal job! I love the offset blocks and the quilting is just gorgeous! So so glad you joined us for the quilt-along!

Sheri said...

I really love your colors and star quilt along quilt! Your spin on offsetting the blocks is very refreshing and your quilting is fabulous. Very interesting that you quilted from the back!

Karen @runsewfun said...

It's been fun watching the progress of this quilt on Instagram. I like how you off set the blocks and I love your quilting pattern. Also love the photo of the quilt hanging on the ladder. Congratulations on a great finish!