Welcome !



Welcome to Made Down South! Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to. This blog serves as my review of projects accomplished since I have way too many that are halfway done. I also tend to have so many urgent ideas where I simply have stop all else to work on the newest thing. So, this blog will show all the ideas that actually get made into stuff! Some of that stuff is available for sale at our etsy shop, Down South Designs.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Rope Wrapped Dining Room Light Fixture

Love the total transformation of this modern pendant light that I found on clearance at Lowe's.  I think it was on clearance because every one of them had dents in the shade.  I considered decoupaging the interior with different photos of my own but the dent would have remained a problem.  I assumed that I could easily fix that little dent but it seemed to want to stay despite my best efforts.
After

Before
Before 
After


Before


After





The original light had a brushed silver finish on the metal hanging rod so I sprayed it oil rubbed bronze color to match the look at my new house.  I tried winding this rope around the barrel shade and loved the look.  So, I made a trip to Big Lots and purchased all five remaining balls of rope.  Seemed excessive at the time but I'm glad I had them since it took 4 1/2 balls of rope to cover it adequately!  I did get just a tad OCD on this project and ended up using elmer's glue between each row so the rope would lie flat.  Yes, it took forever.  Yes, I only did it on the outside.  No, I will probably never get around to fixing the inside.  It's hardly noticeable from a galloping horse and, besides that, it's already hung up.

 I'm still working on new home decorating but decided to welcome the fall season by using my lovely trick or treat quilt as dining table cover and throwing in a few pumpkins for good measure.  I made the gold one and the cute little sweater one last year.

































Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
shabby creek cottage


52 Mantels

4 comments:

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Casandra!! Love this project, it is so cool!

Thank you for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday. :)


Heather

Shannon said...

I like the rope!! Great diy light!
xo,
Shannon

Christy said...

Ha! I have seen jute and twine covered things on Pinterest that I really liked. I wouldn't have thought about doing a lampshade. Good idea!

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.