Welcome !



Welcome to Made Down South! Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to. This blog serves as my review of projects accomplished since I have way too many that are halfway done. I also tend to have so many urgent ideas where I simply have stop all else to work on the newest thing. So, this blog will show all the ideas that actually get made into stuff! Some of that stuff is available for sale at our etsy shop, Down South Designs.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Progress

Lots of progress in my sewing room this past week:

Made a baby quilt from scraps for DH's coworker.  I started out with one vision and had to keep adjusting it based on the limited amount of fabric scraps. It was surprisingly fun to improvise and I really like the end result!
I tried a pieced back but realized too late that I didn't lay it out straight!  Must remember to check for this next time.  And will try to remember to keep my toes out of the photo ...



My new Persimmon jelly roll went from this

...to this


...and this


...and this...


...and lots more pondering...   I've come to realize that having a design wall in my sewing room can be a blessing and a curse!

Lastly, I've made it to my first goal for my handstitched Steampunk Quilt project. One dozen blocks completed and many more dozens to go!  These blocks were a bit challenging to piece but they are getting easier as I gain a rhythm with this type of work.  Still, I'm glad that I'm not under a timeline deadline for these little jewels. Kudos to Jen Kingwell for designing the pattern!


I will be sharing at Freshly Pieced blog and Crazy Mom Quilts blog this week.


2 comments:

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Your work is great! I have just finished a String of Pearls too, such a cool design. And I really like your Steam Punk blocks, I haven't seen that design before and they are really cool. Well done! (I love the name of your blog, I am way down south too..the very south of New Zealand! Nice to 'meet' a fellow southerner!)

Jasmine said...

I love the layout on your baby quilt. Great job!

P.S. Let me know if you want any specifics on how I made the Beary Blue quilt. (Like size and amounts of fabric.)